There is not much to see in the north chapel of the church of St Peter in Walpole today, but in the 1700s it was full of stained glass and a few monuments in memory of the Rochfords who were lords of one of the manors in that town in the 1300s and 1400s. Fortunately, details of these were captured by the Norfolk historians Francis Blomefield and Charles Parkin.
The first of the Rochfords to be based permanently at Walpole was Sir Ralph Rochford of Walpole, the second son of Sir Sayer de Rochford of Fenne. He seems to have been based there from about 1350, and it was during his time that much of the church was rebuilt after a catastrophic flood in 1337. It is very likely that Ralph was one of the principal benefactors to the reconstruction project.